Saturday, December 20, 2008

ready for the holidays

I never know what to expect around the holidays on so many levels. I don't even have the extended family to deal with, so I empathize with those who do. I have been a Taoist for many years now but I am also an American who grew up excited about Christmastime and I want that for my son. It could turn out a confusing mess but I am determined not to let it be.

I have decided to let holidays just be a light and fun distraction from the everyday and leave the religion out of it. I just don't want to make some decisions for my son and one of them is religion. I personally grew up quite agnostic with the typical christian presence in the peripheal. After joining the military and learning more about myself, I began a long journey of religious studies and even joined the Catholic faith at the age of 25. After meeting my husband and settling down my research and study intensified as did my interest in the Eastern religions, especially Buddhism.

The few family members I had left in Ohio accepted (though did not quite comprehend) my beliefs and quit sending or expecting christmas cards. That was then, now I'm a mom...my, how things change. My baby's eyes are going to light up on the 25th early in the morning like most other kids and I will happily let Santa take credit for all the time I spent tracking down everything under the tree. It's an inescapable part of our culture regardless of the religion behind it and I think I can relax for a while before I have to have that conversation. In the meantime I am for once content to enjoy the moment with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment